Monday, March 29, 2010

Decision Making Styles Ch. 12

After reading through the chapter, a was focused on decision making styles at the beginning of the chapter. This section stuck out to me because I found that I do use two of the decision making styles (Analytical and Directive), but never really find myself being conceptual or behavioral in my decision making. I am Analytical in my decision making because I often search for other ways to solve problems, rather than just the first idea that pops into my head. This is beneficial because I often find solutions that make completing a task easier for myself. on the other hand, there are times when I waste time trying to find a different way to solve a problem and it ends up costing me valuable time in the end.
If I were able to spread by decision making through all four styles it would probably help me find better solutions that I normally would not come up with. I think that if I used a behavioral style instead of always being so analytical I could find different and sometimes even better decision making solutions. With a behavioral style of decision making I would be more open minded to new ideas and solutions. I think this is a big problem when it comes to my decision making skills because I can be close minded and always think I know the best way to solve a problem. Being more behavioral in my decision makign will also benefit me in group work. Sometimes I feel I do not always follow the group because I have my own ways of decision making and can be close minded.

3 comments:

  1. I found that I'm more analytical, but I can also be conceptual. It's funny how there's a spectrum of styles at play, and we can fluctuate between them. I'll bet that everyone in the class falls into some hybrid combination of styles rather than just one. I also don't think that one is necessarily "better" than any of the others. It's really all about context and what you contribute. They are all valuable styles, just for different reasons.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Applying different decision-making styles to different situations do not only help you come up with different solutions. They also allow you to anticipate opposing views that may need to be factored in in order to reach a decision that benefits everyone. They can help better inform you before the decision is made.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Its fun to see which ones of the spectrums you fall under, whether it is only one or more than one. Of course many people fall under more than one as I myself I transition between a blend of the four different styles depending on the situation, the conflict, the people and various other factors.

    ReplyDelete